7 Sept 2012

Five Sentence Fiction: Memories

I seem to be living inside a song at the moment as all I can think about is music. Here is my contribution to five sentence fiction on the subject of memories.
Listen or read...
She was sick to death of people taking it upon themselves to point out that she came across as a very cold stand-offish person (how bloody dare they!), and hadn't she been through enough to warrant her behavior, didn't they reailse that she was fighting every day to maintain some semblance of stability and they could get lost if they thought that would change just because they suggested it.

She sat there in the cafe with her hands wrapped around the empty mug, clinging to the warmth as it slowly faded, the warmth that she no longer had in her life, and as she looked out the window at the passers by she gave a sigh of relief that she had survived another day.

Then, with no warning she felt her body begin to shake, her face was warm and her eyes stung and she reached up to find that tears were pouring down her face, tears that she had been fighting for what seemed like forever, tears that wouldn't come when she wanted them to but wouldn't stop now, tears that only showed her weakness and belied her strength.

The sobs followed, big gulping sobs, heart wrenching sobs full of abandonment and loneliness, sobs that too could not be held back, sobs that made the people in the cafe stare at her and start to leave, sobs that reminded her of a seals bark and made her wish that she could escape and swim away.

It seemed like forever had passed, but it couldn't have been more than a minute or so, when she finally managed to screech  "TURN THAT DAMN MUSIC OFF!" and very quietly under her breath "its breaking my heart..."


Hope you like it! I apologise now if I have bastardised my sentences! Oops!

22 comments:

  1. Impressive how you managed to fit all that in five sentences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are sentence police out there who would tell me that I am being rather creative with the concept - but I plead artistic license has been used! :)

      Delete
  2. That's powerful! That moment when a song unexpectedly rips you apart... Great stuff Kate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, songs do this to me ALL the time - they spark a memory and that is pretty powerful especially when the quality of the song is irrelevant! lol.

      Delete
  3. A powerful rendition of that moment we all go through - it happened to me this week but thankfully I was at home, alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sandra, it always catches you unawares.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!
    Saniaheba.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. An amazing emotional story, nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, thank you for your lovely comment and for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Wow, Kate! Beautifully written and totally heart wrenching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really well done! I was wrapped up in her pain and sorrow; that final sentence is fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredibly powerful - I just wanted one person in that cafe to feel her pain and go over an hug her (although I suspect she may have punched them if they had ;). Funny how a song can be playing in the background and suddenly it impinges on your conciousness and transport you to places you don't want to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that they were probably shocked and unsure of how to react - I imagine her with an austere appearance. Music is very powerful. Thank you for your kind comments and for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful. As others have said, you totally nail that moment most of us have experienced when a particular song or piece of music slides into your ears and rips your guts out. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow.... Definitely I want more :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Powerful stuff, Kats! You captured the moment perfectly and all in 5 sentences! I'm quite behind on your blog, I didn't know you were writing fiction, nice one! Looking forward to catching up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have told you :D You still have a long way to go to catch up! Good luck :)

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Spill the beans...

Challenge 39: Watch 50 stand up shows (DVD or LIVE)

So I have been keeping notes on all my challenges and updating as and when something happens to move towards that goal, this is the notes fo...