24 Apr 2012

U is for...


If you have read this far then you haven't given up on me, you didn't abandon all hope at Obituarist...this to me is a very similar job to event planner, no? I think its the celebration of life, i think it is an important time and needs to be special.


I came up with these jobs pre-April and am stuck with them! I thought that maybe I would prefer to be an upholsterer (I would love to learn how to do that, what would be better than being able to upholster your own furniture?) and then I googled jobs yesterday and it came up with suggestions such as underwear model (definitely not in my future) and urologist, and I thought of understudy all on my own (relates to 'A' post). I am trying to remember what originally made me select this other than pure desperation. But I think it is linked to my worse thing in the world thing. What?! What am I talking about? Well, there is one thing that is guaranteed to make me cry (might draw on it when I am an ACT-OR, ha!) and is the worse possible thing I can think of that could happen to someone. What is it? Dying alone. Just the thought of someone not having anyone with them when their time comes fills me up. I wont dwell because it really does upset me, even more so when I think of people who have lost contact with their family. I don't want to bring you down either so moving swiftly on...

Why I would be good at this job.

I really do care about people, about their lives and about making sure that their wishes are honoured even after death.

Why I wouldn't be good at this job.

Well, other than the obvious death thing, I suppose...group bookings?

So, this has been really depressing! I am so sorry, no...wait..please don't go! Lets see if we can't rescue this post with a happy thought/quote or joke! I'll start us off...

This is a true story!

A fair few years ago, after I finished university, I decided to take a trip to visit a friend who had been taking a year out on work experience. She had been working on a Kibbutz in Israel. We decided that I would meet her in Tel Aviv, spend a week travelling around Israel and then go to Jordan and Egypt and return to Israel to fly home. I booked my flight and was looking forward to 4 weeks of adventure. It was 4 weeks full of adventure and I have sooooo many stories that I could bore you all to tears. Why so many? I am a self-confessed naive klutz with an internal compass that only goes left and who you can't take anywhere. I have an older sister and she decided that she would come out for the Israel part of the trip.

Israel is a beautiful country and I absolutely loved it, we were constantly on the go the whole time but we saw a lot and it was great.  About halfway through the trip we decided to leave Jerusalem and head to Tiberius (very highly populated and commercial but was the one place that both me and my sister could have stayed forever). Now, we all had large rucksacks with our stuff in and the worse part of backpacking is lugging your luggage from one place to the next. Armed with instructions from people who had done the trip previously, we hired a taxi to take us. The hostel we were going to try and stay at (none were booked in advance) was off of the main road through the town. So we knew to get out somewhere along the main road and it wouldn't be far. We arrived in Tiberius around 5pm and the street was busy, it is lined with cafes with tables outside (the perks of being a hot climate) and all were full. The three of us, were so happy to be out of a car that we jumped out and grabbed our rucksacks, strapped them on and off we went. Who cares if we looked like tourists and stood out like a sore thumb? Not us! We had the sweaty windswept look down pat. 

We are walking down the street chatting and laughing and start to pass what appeared to be the busiest, noisiest, most happening cafe on the street. We are smiling, laughing, taking it all in and really enjoying the smells and sounds of the town and then it happened...I tripped, lurched forward, tried to stay on my feet by leaning backwards, totally forgot I was carrying a 70lb rucksack and over I went! Landed on my back in the doorway no less, of said Cafe. It would have been OK, accept I couldn't get up, my arms and legs were flailing around all over the place like in a game of dead ants - my sister and friend were no use, they were doubled over, tears streaming down their faces, pitifully holding out a hand each to help me, a hand that they were struggling to hold up! Eventually, without their help, I crawled up. In true Brit fashion I apologised to the Cafe owner and customers and we went on our merry way - the ten yards that were left to our Hostel and I survived to suffer many more tripping offences.

11 comments:

  1. I'd love to die alone! No one crying over my dead body, or worse, watching me die! Just pick me up in the meat wagon and cart me off without fanfair! My family have specific instructions when it comes to my death, and they are very specifically told closed coffin, no viewing, no funeral. I'm not scared of dying, I'm scared of having my dead body stared at!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there was more people like you writing about death. UNFORTUNATELY I am not one of them.
    you wrote a good post but not one I could have written.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate, finally tracked your blog down!

    Interesting topic, death. Why western society are so shy about it I don't know? But a good post for a difficult topic and letter.

    Thanks for joining me at the hearth. I hope you enjoy your stay :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story about your trip had me LOL! I could picture it--especially the flailing arms and legs and the friends too doubled over with laughter to be of any help. Well done!

    My band teacher from the eighth grade quit teaching to become a mortician. He loved the job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the job probably is a lot like being a counselor. You have to be very attuned to people's needs and slip in at all the right places to bolster them up. Not creepy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. having the right person in the details is so meaningful--some people should not be doing it--great post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate...I just have to say your posts make my day!By the end of that story where you were flailing like a beetle..LOL...tears were streaming down my cheeks..haha
    Anyway.. I think I'd love to take a trip with you sometime. Might prove to be very entertaining. :D
    Now, the undertaker job: wow, that is not an easy job. I'll stick to nursing..:D
    Dying alone is really sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to live by am mortician - we would be sitting in church and his pager would go off. That's never good. Great post - new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the thought that as an understaker you honor someone's wishes, even in death. I do think that could be a very upsetting job at times though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Everyone,

    Only 5 more letters to go! Thank you all for taking the time to comment, I know how busy you are.

    So,

    Mark K: I am intrigued by gaming - its the unknown to me - and so hope to learn a lot about it thanks to you...no pressure! Sorry if my blog was hiding, naughty blog!

    Dana: From band teacher to mortician is a pretty big jump. Glad you enjoyed the story - I fell over today on my way to work! I stupidly stepped on a wet manhole cover with trainers, the leg went off without me, nearly split myself in two and now have a grazed knee, who said I wished I could be a kid again?!

    Jaye: I guess you would need to be a good listener.

    Lynn: Thank you!

    Danielle: I agree, its rewarding but not the happiest.

    Thanks again all! Hope you stop by for a much more cheery 'V' post tomorrow!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. i just discovered your blog at U, and I wish I had found it at A! What a great theme - kind of like the career choice bible "What Color Is Your Parachute", ABC-style!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Spill the beans...

Challenge 39: Watch 50 stand up shows (DVD or LIVE)

So I have been keeping notes on all my challenges and updating as and when something happens to move towards that goal, this is the notes fo...