11 Apr 2012

J is for...


Jabberwocky!

Hello Everyone!

Today's post is going to be a shock to the system as I am abandoning my usual challenge format, but fear not it will be back to business as usual from the letter K.

Firstly, I would just like to say a 'thank you' and a 'I am looking forward to getting to know you' to all my followers and those who have commented too.  If any of you are wondering what I am likely to be blogging about after the challenge finishes (from May onwards) then check out my about me page (see tab at top).

Secondly, Can you believe that it is almost the half-way point? It has gotten quite quiet of late, but I think that is because everyone is getting into the swing of things and having a good mosey around all the blogs. I have struggled the last couple of days to look at new blogs but I am going to be surfing the links after I finish this post. I have found that a really good way to get to some great blogs is to have recommendations, so if any of you have some blogs that you think are worth mentioning, then please let me know - I would hate to miss them out and, seeing as I started this blog as a way to find new blogs that would provide inspiration, I will be posting some links at the end of the challenge of some of those new inspiring blogs I mention. 

Thirdly, the reason for this non-career based entry...I am going to be on auto-blog for the next 6 days and will respond to comments on my return, I hope you will still comment if you have the chance or the inclination. The reason I will be on auto-blog is I am off to regain my independence...well, sort of...

What's that I hear you cry?...Where am I going?..
I am going to spend 5 days in New York City! 

Its my first time in the US and I am quite excited and anxious about it all, I am going alone and I know no-one (at least not in NYC). I have met two Americans (in person) before although one was born in the UK, moved to LA as a child and then returned in her 20s and the other was from California but was married to an English woman and had lived in the UK for 15 years. So it is all new to me, and I do have a small fear of tall buildings (WTF?!) and I have heard rumours that there are a couple in NYC! ;) lol

Anyway, it is quite possible that you are reading this and I am scurrying around doing some last minute packing, but I leave you with this poem...mainly because I love the word Jabberwocky and think I talk a lot of it!

"Jabberwocky"

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! and through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.


Thanks for stopping by!! Kate :D

14 comments:

  1. Loved the poem and by the way you'll love New York visited there whilst in the US last year,
    Have fun.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely going to enjoy your time in NYC.

    May I offer a small bit of advice if you've not left yet?

    1. Try the various street foods. They are excellent.

    2. Take a bus tour of the city (the double decker) so that you can see things you may want to blow off and/or see later.

    3. If you plan on seeing some Broadway, get your ticket from a scalper in Times Square by the little police station. You can haggle and typically get your ticket half price, especially if they have an odd number.

    4. When buying souvenirs, shop around. There are a plethora of shops and goodies to buy.

    5. Did I mention trying the street foods? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn! I've prepared pretty much the exact same post. I guess that great minds think alike, or fools never differ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your choice of poems---have fun in new york--my nephew, the author lives there and loves it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lynn, I am ridiculously nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great poem. I love reading it to my kids, and they get a kick out me trying to pronounce all the made-up words. Have a fabulous time in New York!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Jabberwocky and all his poems! Hope you have a fab time and come back totally fre of worries about tall buildings.

    I'm leaving you my A-Z link as blogger
    always identifies me as my shared blog with other poets - my A-Z is this one: http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Jabberwocky! Works for me. Have a great time in NY. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there! Stopping buy from A-Z.I enjoyed your post 9and your poem:)
    There are several blogs I like:

    Seriously,-WTH is mine
    Muppets for Justice is funny
    Beer for the shower
    Buttons are not currency
    Hill Blocks View
    Just Ermie

    Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a great trip! (And welcome to the US.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just visiting for the A-Z. Hope you have a wonderful time in New York. Sounds like you have some super posts planned for after the challenge. Count me in as your newest follower. (Don't want to miss your tales!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just popping in from the A-Z Challenge :) Have a GREAT time in New York!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. New York's my favorite city - it combines all the things I love doing most. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Spill the beans...

Challenge 39: Watch 50 stand up shows (DVD or LIVE)

So I have been keeping notes on all my challenges and updating as and when something happens to move towards that goal, this is the notes fo...