7 Apr 2012

G is for...


Why a gardener?

This ambition comes from just enjoying being outside. I don't know if that's enough of a reason.

Why I would be good at this job.

I like to be outside in all weather. I am creative and practical, so a garden design would be functional and pretty. I don’t mind lugging things around in a wheelbarrow. I am very patient.
I like the fresh air. I like the smell of cut grass and wet mud. I like visiting gardens, the herb gardens, the vegetable gardens, the rose gardens and ornamental gardens. I also like bird spotting and being in nature.


Why I wouldn't be good at this job.

When I say all weather I mean sunshine! I don't own a wheelbarrow. I have bad knees, so kneeling for long periods would be a problem.  I might be prone to just having a quick five minutes to rest a tree with a good book.  Don't judge me but I have a fear of butterflies!

I don’t know much about the roles and responsibilities of a gardener, so if you garden or you have worked as a gardener, please enlighten me buy telling me the one thing you don't like about gardening.

If you would like to see some photo's that I took of the garden at Torre Abbey in Devon, UK then please click here it also has a really interesting history about the family that used to live there.

15 comments:

  1. I love getting my hands dirty and planting in my yard. I'm a nut for roses especially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something very fulfilling about gardening. If I could change one thing about it, it would be that insects/wild animals love to get into (destroy) it.

    New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've yet to keep a plant alive, but maybe I should try again. My mom's maiden name is Gardner, but our family... we don't garden. Though my parents do have a plant that they've had for years. It looks really sad and wilts when it needs water. Nice plant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie: Roses are lovely, my mother grows them in her garden, but due to the erratic weather this year they have spent longer than average in bloom.

    Sylvia: Yes, the insects...snails and slugs, yuck! Thank you for stopping by.

    Krista: Haha, its trying to communicate with you. We had a cheese plant that grew so tall it nearly reached the ceiling , my mother said that when it reaches the ceiling she will have to get rid of it...it started bending over! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post, I love the garden. just to see the wildlife and of course the flowers coming into bloom makes life worth living.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post, I love the garden. just to see the wildlife and of course the flowers coming into bloom makes life worth living.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a gardener. I've tried to be from time to time but between biting bugs and poison ivy, I find I'd rather just take a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well my amateur gardening efforts have yet to be too successful, so I'm not in much of a position to offer advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love gardens but not the gardening--although i wish i did

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love gardens, and I wish I had that 'gifted' touch to make things bloom. I do try though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gardens = outside = bugs, dirt, other people, did I mention bugs?...naw, I'll stay cooped up in the house thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey,

    Jaye: biting bugs and poison ivy?! where is your garden? I think they might make me more reluctant.

    Lynn: I am dubious as to whether I would have enough patience to wait for everything to grow.

    Cecilia: I'm a bit hit and miss in the garden, it involves a lot of crossed fingers.

    Keebles: Ok..ok..stay inside, but house plants??

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pulling weeds and slugs are my least favorite thing about gardening. I'm much more o f a buy-plants-and-stick-'em-in-the-ground gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I lack a green thumb. I've been watching my garden suffer under the hot sun. I thought I was helping, but someone told me I was watering too much.

    If only weeds put out good tasting fruit.

    Von L
    The Growing Writer

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dee Dee: That's still gardening in my book! :)

    Von L Cid: If only, but wet-your-beds are great when they turn into wishing clocks! I should know their real name..hmmm..anyone?

    Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Spill the beans...

Challenge 39: Watch 50 stand up shows (DVD or LIVE)

So I have been keeping notes on all my challenges and updating as and when something happens to move towards that goal, this is the notes fo...