30 Apr 2012

Z is for...

We made it! 26 days of non-stop blogging and reading, Even whilst away for a week and a weekend and there was not too much drama (blogwise) and I am looking forward to a little break. Although I have a lot of reading to do! So here it is, the last career. 

Zoologist

Why this Job?


It begins with the letter Z! Is that not enough? I think my interpretation of what a zoologist is tainted ever so slightly by Gorillas in the Mist. But when I was studying natural resource management a friend on the same course had a Zoology degree, she had been working in Madagascar and has since returned. It all sounded very exciting, hot and intense. I would love to live in a hot climate again and their is little more awe inspiring than watching animals in their natural habitats. I once went to a nature reserve in Ghana and it was somewhere between zoo and natural habitat. In as much as it was a forest by a village and the monkeys were used to human interaction and knew that they came with food. So I did have the pleasure of feeding a monkey a mango up close and personal. I like to be outdoors too. 

Why would I be good at this job.


I like to be outdoors. I like wildlife and plant life. I enjoy hot climates (I wouldn't want to be sent to watch penguins!). I am science-y.

Why wouldn't I be good at this job.


I don't have a Zoology degree or any experience and could easily get distracted during the time whilst studying.I shouldn't, its shocking, but I am so easily distracted..what?!..one second..ooh! chocolate cake..yummy...where were we? OK, so that is probably the biggest barrier for this one.

Have you seen/read Gorillas in the Mist? Has any film/book inspired you career wise? 


16 comments:

  1. Not a book or film, but I took a class to the Outer Banks of NC one time and met a woman who was a wildlife biologist with a specialty in feral ponies. She got to spend hours alone tracking the herds across the dunes on a 4-wheeler. That sounded like the life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That really does. I once stayed on a stud farm and watching the horses running around was majestic.

      Delete
  2. years ago, the tv show "that girl" made me want to be an actress--congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whats more admirable is that you actually succeeded! Thank you for all your comments during the A to Z challenge.

      Delete
  3. Hello, Fellow Challenger, from #398 - aka Rockin'Chair Reflections! I love that you used careers for your Challenge! I think all careers look great from the outside and, it's when you actually do have to perform the duties, that you discover whether it's for you, or not!. But, Zoologist would be pretty close to a target, for me! Come visit when you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all do! It wasnt until I thought for longer about them that it occurred to me that they werent for me. Some aspects are though and maybe I will pursue them. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. When I think of the zoo I think of two things: the horrible animal smell and the horrible smell from the wax machines that make wax animals (haven't been to the zoo in 25 years, so not sure if they still have the machines). My nose couldn't handle zoology!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wax machines? i dont know about them - but my nose doesnt like horse poop and i dodged the horse and carriage ride in NYC.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on completing the A to Z,
    Loved your Z post. hope you make the 100th follower.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvonne,its been great having you stop by. And I have done it! Well, not me really.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on getting through A to Z!

    ...I don't think you need a degree in Zoo Studies if you want to just volunteer at the zoo from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...And I just wanted to add that it's been so fun coming here this month to see all your job ideas. Look forward to reading more from you when I'm back from my break...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The movie All the President's Men made me want to be a journalist, but after getting my journalism degree I was pretty disenchanted with the bias that exists in the media. I did go on to be a technical writer and editor, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations at complete the A-Z Challenge, Kate! It's been great having you over at the hearth - I've created a 'Survivors' badge for those finishing the A-Z, so if you wish to copy and paste it, just nip on over to my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heya Kate,
    Congrats on completing the challenge! :) Haven'T watched Gorilla in the Mist.Will def. look for the dvd.
    Zoologist does sound like fun, a bit dangerous, but fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a fellow A-Z. I'm sorry that I didn't find you until the end. I really like your take on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Spill the beans...

Challenge 39: Watch 50 stand up shows (DVD or LIVE)

So I have been keeping notes on all my challenges and updating as and when something happens to move towards that goal, this is the notes fo...