3 Apr 2012

C is for...


Why a Chef?



I like food, I like social gatherings with food and I like to try new foods. I like to be busy, and in the kitchen in 'Treme' they are always VERY busy.

Why I would be good at this job.

I like to think that I would be good at this job because I like food, and am willing to try all types, at least once. 
I am quite a stickler for the rules and following the recipe to the letter so you are likely to get whats on the menu.  I know this might limit my creativity in the kitchen but I am more paranoid about someone not liking the food than I am about anything else. You see, I have this theory and it goes a little something like this.. if I follow the recipe then I cant possibly go wrong. There is then no chance of me making shepherds trifle like in the friends episode where Rachel makes a shepherds pie and combines it with a trifle. Both delicious dishes on their own but together? ew! Although ever since I saw that episode I have always thought that cold custard with minced lamb in gravy might be quite nice! Is that just me?
I like to be really busy.
I like a lively atmosphere with challenges and deadlines.
I like uniforms as it saves me the bother of having to decide what to wear, and whether it is the right thing to wear.
I am not weird about touching things. Things in this sentence means foodstuffs, other things I am weird about touching, sticky things, fluff, bugs, ....etc.

Why I wouldn't be good at this job.

My attention to detail could be very distracting, and I have a tendency to try and make things perfect - you could be waiting a long time for your meal.
I don't like clogs - those shoes they have in kitchens that they slip on, I am just not a clog kind of girl. Something to do with the billy goats gruff and clip clopping over the bridge.
I hate washing up – it is the one household chore that I only do at gunpoint, at least it feels like that. Ironing I love.
I am not a night owl but rather an early bird and so I would have to be the breakfast chef, which would limit what I cooked to some extent, and I can't cook eggs.


Have you ever or are you worked/ing as a chef? What made you choose this career? Is it everything you dreamed of? have you ever cooked for someone famous and if so what did they eat?, as I am convinced that a fair few of them don't eat anything! 

10 comments:

  1. Great choice of word for the c post.
    Where would we be when going out for a meal without a chef?

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Friends episode! And now I'm wondering what minced lamb would be like with custard...I wouldn't be a very good chef, because although I'm ok at cooking, I often can't be bothered to :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could be a breakfast chef in a clog-free cafe for people with egg intolerances. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all
    Yvonne: thanks and you're right.
    Loopy loo: I can't stop thinking about it either but funnily I can't convince my friends to try it.
    Ermine: is that what they call the niche market?
    Hmm...you've given me food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm an adequate cook, but nothing more. So I don't see a future as a chef. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend's dad is a chef - he's never at home, she rarely sees him and he hates cooking at home!
    If you've a great attention to detail, apparently they'd be great skills for bakers: exact ingredients needed.

    Good luck with the Challenge!

    Bex
    www.leavingcairo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post. And I love that episode where Rachel cooked 'wonders' ..LOL
    Oh I wish I could be a better cook. Right now my kids have to make do with what I cook.*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, have the fantasy of being a chef, but I think I'm more attracted to the movie version of the job and not the actual work, if that makes sense. I want to be a chef in a movie, like Katherine Heigl but not as annoying. :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    Hektor: Whats your speciality dish? I think we all have a standby waiting ready to impress.

    Bex: Yummy, cakes!!!! Much better choice. Isnt it always the way that a workman never takes it home with him, plumbers, painters, electricians.

    Cecelia: Friends has some great moments, whats your favourite episode?

    Shannon: Yes, I dont think I am going to pursue this career - I am drawn to the movie/TV versions too.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would be a horrible chef - I can cook, but I'd be a psycho chef! No one would want to work with me! OCD's don't belong in a kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Spill the beans...

Challenge 39: Watch 50 stand up shows (DVD or LIVE)

So I have been keeping notes on all my challenges and updating as and when something happens to move towards that goal, this is the notes fo...