“During November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of moustaches on thousands of men’s faces in the UK and around the world. The aim of which is to raise vital funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and testicular cancer.”
Some of you may be wondering what I could possibly be about to say about Movember. Well…. lets get this straight first...
- I do not have a problem with raising money for testicular cancer, prostate cancer or mens health.
- I do not have a problem with raising money for charity.
- I do not have a problem with sponsored events.
- I do not have a problem with events that are open to men of all fitness levels.
What I do have a problem with is...
- I do have a problem with people giving money to men for not shaving. As far as I know it requires very little effort, actually, I am pretty sure it is biological. I understand that not all men want to run marathons, climb mountains and cycle the globe but I really would rather they did something more than nothing.
- I do have a problem with a whole month being dedicated to Mens health. I know October is breast cancer month but it effects both men AND women.
- I do have a problem with the fact that if women of the UK decided on no hair removal for a month that there would be an uproar and hardly any money would be raised. Mainly because their boyfriends/husbands would find it unattractive.
- I do have a problem with girlfriends/wives of men who do this saying how proud they are of their partners – proud of him not shaving for a month?! There are many things you can be proud of your partner for but not shaving...!!! I also think its ironic that cancer sufferers lose/can lose their hair due to treatment and this is encouraging people to be as hairy as possible…”oh, you have lost all your hair, and your eyebrows, and your eyelashes, and you couldn't grow a moustache/beard even if you wanted to right now. Well, don’t worry, I’ll just grow mine for you as a constant visible reminder to all cancer sufferers that 1) you have cancer 2) you have no hair 3) this is the most we are prepared to do to help you”
I will happily give money to someone dressed in a funny costume with a bucket, someone in normal clothes spending their free time collecting, anyone who does anything that requires and ounce of effort on their part. How about not watch football/sport for the whole month?!
I could go on – but I won't – but I understand if you disagree with what I have said. I expect some will. I was actually really worried about what people would think and considered not writing it but you know what – it’s a rant and its my opinion and it should tell you a bit more about me!
Its awfully quiet in here all of a sudden! ;)