27 Jan 2017

Day 1: When was the last time you tried something new?

Hey there,

I have tasked myself with writing more, and I think writing about anything and everything will help inspire me for my stories.

I wasn't sure what to write but then I came across a blog about 365 questions, I am guessing this is one a day for a year starting on January 1st but I am going against the grain and starting it today. This list was done way back in 2011 would you believe, and I am not going to tackle them in numeric order, but hop about a bit. I am also going to include some random fun questions that i have scooped up around the webiverse.

The questions I found are quite varied and hopefully will help me get to know you all a little better, as I would love for you to put your response to the question in the comments.

So today's question (is the first question on the list)...

  1. When was the last time you tried something new?
Hmmm, this is a good question. I like to try new things even if its just to learn that I don't like them. My mind instantly goes to learning something new, but this could be clothing out of your comfort zone or even interesting foods.

This is tricky! I am thinking I definitely need to try new things...oh yes! let me set the scene for you...

It was a cold and chilly evening when I arrived home. My hands frozen, my nose all but falling off, when I stepped into my mothers house and was met with the most amazing smell....mmmm...wafting its way across the kitchen to my nostrils delight as my nasal hair grabbed at the air molecules as if half starved.

It was one of my childhood favourites, a real home comfort dish, and definitely a winter delight. 

Mince and Mash.

I couldn't wait to eat it, I really couldn't...and then...as i looked at the plate...my joy began to fade..their on the plate hidden among the mince and gravy were 'GARDEN PEAS' and...yes...SWEETCORN!!

As a child, garden peas used to make me gag, my skin would pimple and i'd imagine I was being poisoned by the green garden peas (which were referred to as poppy peas - due to looking as if they had popped). Sweetcorn I will NEVER, okay so that seems extreme but.. I WILL NEVER eat sweetcorn, we have a hate-hate relationship and those were immediately evicted from my plate.

The peas however, were just eyed with suspicion, I took a bite and one had hidden in amongst the potato, I swallowed...I paused...I waited for that familiar feeling of  'Bleugh'...and it never happened. I ate a pea. In actual fact, I ate all the peas. The flavour was inoffensive although I wouldn't eat them on their own, but I did it...I tried something new...well...it was new enough, don't you think?


When was the last time you tried something new?


9 comments:

  1. That is a great question. Last time for me was in November when I took a pottery painting class. I don't paint, period, never mind a three dimensional object, but it was a lot of fun and I'm rather pleased with my yarn bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not great with paint either, but its great to try these things, and I am sure you have fond memories of the class :)

      Delete
  2. Hmm, I tend to try new recipes a lot given my food allergies, but one thing that has been really new was trying leggings. There's this company a couple friends consult with and they have such soft amazing leggings! I can wear them to work under a dress, and this company also makes crazy-comfortable dresses. I've bought 3 dresses in a month and last time I bought 3 dresses probably would be over 2 or 3 years? So I'm wearing more "girly" clothes than my usual slacks to work and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new years resolution of mine is to cook more, so I know who to come to for tips :) I am going to try clean eating for Lent.

      Delete
    2. And....lol!...I love to wear leggings and dresses together, or long jumpers etc. I like the practicality of trousers and the prettiness of dresses. I dont have the most defined waist whatever size I am and so a dress is a great help.

      Delete
  3. Food wise, I've very recently tried couscous cauliflower and courgette sphaghetti.... both were yummy and will definitely buy them again on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courgette spaghetti might be ok but I tried cauliflower as a substitute before and NEARLY DIED! heheehhe

      Delete
  4. I'm not adventurous in my eating and being the age I am, I have tried most things I want to try!
    I try new authors almost every week at work! Does that count? I am currently reading The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge who is a new-to-me author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great job to me! It definitely counts. I sometimes try to push outside my comfort zone, which can work with most things but rarely books, what do you think?

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Spill the beans...

Challenge 39: Watch 50 stand up shows (DVD or LIVE)

So I have been keeping notes on all my challenges and updating as and when something happens to move towards that goal, this is the notes fo...