29 Jul 2013

#VisDare - Plains of Binchardhi

I thought I would try the VisDare this week...here is the photo...

Source


Here is my story...



He was a lion amongst men. Provider and protector of those in his charge, he never wavered, treating each like a favoured brother. He had reigned over the land for almost a hundred years and his impending demise and transcendence was all anyone could think about. 

They marched over the lands as one unit, swarming through valleys and scattering up mountains, until they came to the burial grounds of their ancestors located on the plains of Binchardhi.  Their leader watched as his men prepared his unmarked grave and when it was finished he saluted them, swallowed the venom and lay down.  

The men would grieve only when they reached home; their focus now was to get as far from the plains as possible, or risk death.  As dawn broke, they could see the silhouette of a Lion against the backdrop of the rising sun, a new era was to begin. 

Here are the rules: 

RULES:

150 words - or less.
Post entry to your blog and "link in" using the link tool below.
No blog? Post your 150 words in the comments below.
(Please - no erotica or graphic violence.)


8 comments:

  1. Shit, I wouldn't have taken the poison, I'd have run off into the sunset with my crown. This is like Logan's Run but in Game Of Thrones. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I haven't seen either of those but im sure they're great! Hehehehehehe thanks for the comments.

      Delete
  2. That leaves me with a question - which is a good way to write - why did he poison himself or have I read the context incorrectly and the Lion ' was him reborn?' Or perhaps I am reading too much into it - in which case I apologise. Either way your images were strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His reign had come to an end & it was a ritual that all predecessors who didn't die in battle went through. By taking the poison he maintained his pride the respect of his men. The myth is that the way in which you live is what you will return as. They believe that he will be reincarnated as a lion, whether the one in the horizon is him or not it is symbolic of him, and the myth lives on.
      Great questions by the way, I had just written and not thought too much, sometimes as you write you build a world, a culture etc. in your mind without realising it.
      Thank you also for taking the time to comment. :)

      Delete
  3. This is amazingly captivating. I love the way the words flow together to tell the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Donetta, welcome to my humble online abode, and thank you for taking the time to comment and I am pleased you enjoyed this short tale.

      Delete
  4. Oh, this was good. Sad, but good. You've done a nice job Kate ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and welcome :) You really live up to your name!

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Spill the beans...

Challenge 39: Watch 50 stand up shows (DVD or LIVE)

So I have been keeping notes on all my challenges and updating as and when something happens to move towards that goal, this is the notes fo...