7 Feb 2013

Girls Best Friend; Part 5



Hello dear readers...I wondered if anyone was waiting for Part 5 of Girls Best Friend? Oh, Ok. Well...here it is then...

Millie had been unable to sleep and woke up in a cold sweat after horrific nightmares about what would happen to Elvis. She new that she would have to go to Marrakech to get him back, there was no way she would be able to live with herself if she didn't, but she was confused as to why Mr. Rob would take him. He had always seemed so nice. It was surprising how wrong you could be about people.

Millie had booked all of her transport tickets and reserved rooms at hotels but with the intention of travelling with Elvis, now all she could think was that she needed to get to him as soon as possible, and she started looking up direct flights to Marrakech. She looked a sight sat at her kitchen table. Her hair was stuck up at every angle and yesterdays make-up was smudged all about, her pyjamas were an old T-shirt and some leggings that she used to laze around the flat in and there were crumbs on her chin from buttered toast. The more she searched for flights the more distressed she became, either she should have been at the airport already or she would have to wait until tomorrow, she glanced up at the clock as she was about to select buy and saw the time.

She was supposed to be at work, she was supposed to be sashaying out of the office with an I-am-outta-here-and-see-you-losers attitude, she was supposed to be smugly telling Denise about an interesting long walk she should take off of a surprisingly short pier. Millie couldn't make the flight any sooner so she decided to go to work and buy the ticket whilst she was there. They were naive if they thought that she would actually be dong any work today!

It wasn’t until she was in the car park that she remembered that it had been less than 48 hours since Mr Robs kidnapping and it was then that it occurred to her that the office might not even be open. When she reached the foyer she saw that work was in fact open and it was business as usual. How was it that a partner of the company could be kidnapped from his place of work and the head of security brutally attacked and yet it was back to work as if it had never happened the second the police teams had cleared out, and they claimed that people weren't just numbers.

Millie went to her desk and switched her computer on and slumped into her chair. It had been a mere two minutes when she looked at the clock, only seven hours and 28 minutes to go she thought.

‘Morning Millie’ said Anne the secretary with a pained look on her face, 
‘erm..morning Anne…are you ok?’ Millie asked. 
‘Yes and no really, I'm just worried about Mr Rob and a bit sad that you are leaving us today...i'll miss you...and my back is breaking too but other than that…i'm ok.’ she sighed as she finished her sentence giving Millie the impression that there was more to this and Anne seemed to be waiting for her to ask. She gave in. 
‘Oh, well…I shall miss you too Anne, is there anything I can help you with today, before I go?’ she asked reluctantly. In less than a second Anne was on her, 
‘Oh would you? really? that would be so great Millie, you are an angel.’ 
Millie mentally shook her head as she had walked straight into that one, 
‘its no bother Anne, what is it?’ she lied.
‘You couldn't go to the stationery cupboard and get me some paper for the copier could you? Its just too heavy for me…what with my back’ as Anne said it she place a hand on her lower back and lent backwards as if miming someone with back pain. 
‘Ok, do you need it now? or can I go in a few minutes…’ asked Millie. 
‘I need it now but…I guess I can wait, how many minutes is a few?’ Anne said. Millie could see that if she didn't go now Anne had every intention of standing over her waiting until she did and so she stood up, smiled at Anne and said 
‘I am going to get the key to the key to the key’ and she laughed as she went to get the key to the key to the key. Anne didn't laugh, no-one in this place thought the whole key charade was ridiculous, she just went back to her desk and sat herself down to drink her coffee.


Millie went in to the stationery cupboard and realised that this was the place she was just a few days ago when this whole diamond debacle had begun and she wanted to be in and out as quick as possible. She flicked on the light switch and heard a crack as it blew. Great! she thought, now she would have to fumble around in the dark with a heavy box of paper, but she went in anyway as she knew where the paper was kept. She crouched down to lift the box of paper up, remembering the whole mantra about lifting with your knees that her mother had always nagged her about, and as she did so she heard a click of the door, she was about to call out ‘Hello, whose there? there is someone in here & the light has blown’ when she heard voices.

‘Look…its all gone wrong! How did those mobsters find out about the diamonds Roberts, the only people who knew about them are me and you and Rob, Rob has been kidnapped and I know he won't tell so that just leaves you.’ Mr Robertson said in an accusatory manner to his partner Mr Roberts.

‘What?! You think its me? YOU think I would put someones life in such a situation? I'm not a fool Robertson, and well you know it, are you sure someone hasn't been whispering sweet diamond nothings between the sheets?’ retaliated Mr Roberts to Mr Robertson.

‘Hell no! Anyway…she wouldn't say anything to anyone…I trust her…she isn't that manipulative…’ he trailed off.

‘Damn you Robertson! You told her? I knew you couldn't keep it in your pants man, but I thought you had more sense than to tell her!’ said Roberts through gritted teeth.

‘Look, she has too much to lose if she goes public, she has a husband!’ said Robertson.

‘What? Denise isn't married, who are you talking about?’ asked Roberts ‘you seriously cannot keep it in your pants…’

‘Wait…why did you think it was Denise? I would never…’ asked Robertson narrowing his eyes at his partner.

‘I thought it was Denise because she almost said as much to me the last time she was in my office, I just didn't think someone would say that if they weren't.’

‘Why would she want you to think she was though? I've never trusted her or that sidekick of hers…what’s his name…Mark from Accounting?’

‘Look…we are getting distracted, we need to find out who has been spilling their guts, and we need to find out pronto. If its not you and its not me then who else can it be? I don’t know about you, but I'm worried, are you sure its not your lady friend?’ he said with a derisive snort.

‘Hey, I've told you already Roberts, Anne wouldn't tell a soul. So do you think they have taken Rob to Marrakech?’

‘I don't know, he rang me the other night, told me he thought someone else at Rob, Roberts and Robertson knew about the diamonds but he was sure they would help us, he said he found a map and some notes in their desk, but he never said who it was…’

Millie was shocked…Mr Rob knew she had the map and instructions, so he must have taken the thugs to her house, but why?

‘He said that if anything happened to him then they would know what to do’

This last statement threw Millie, how would she know what to do?

‘That he had left them some sort of message with instructions and that we should just stick to our original plan, which was…if anything happened to any of us then we were to deny all knowledge. So, I say lets just do that, what do you think?’

‘I think I want to know who this person is who Rob is leaving the fate of the company and our lives to…look, its almost 9.30am and we have that conglomerate meeting. We can talk after that.’

‘Ok, deal.’

Millie heard the door click closed and managed to breathe out. Had she heard correctly, had Mr Rob left her some instructions? or was there someone else in the company who was going to save the world or whatever? He surely couldn't have left his fate in the hands of her…afterall…she was just a temp. Millie vowed to stay out of this stationery cupboard and crouched down to get the box of paper…and wow, what a revelation about Anne, that was a surprise she wasn't expecting. 

Millie wasn't convinced that the bending your knees thing actually did help, the box was still heavy and she was still going to struggle. She began shimmying around some of the stuff when she heard someone fumbling at the handle to the stationery cupboard. Oh dear god! she thought, please…not again! and she crouched down behind the boxes and assumed the position.

‘Quick…get in here…’ said Denise from Marketing and at the sound of her voice Millies mouth turned into a sneer.

‘What is it Denise? I’m busy.’ said Mark from Accounting.

‘Shut up Mark, this is more important than getting everyone to sign some silly leaving card for a scatty brained temp! And anyway, I think that with everything that has gone on with Mr Rob that one of us should go to Marrakech as soon as possible and see what they can find out. I think it should be you. I am far too important here to just up sticks and leave. You on the other hand...won't be missed.’

‘Gee Denise, you're all heart! Millie is not scatty brained and you are a fool to think she is. She might just surprise you one day.’

‘Awww…does likkle marky poos have a cwushy wush on Millie?’

‘Stop it Denise, jealousy doesn't suit you, you sort the tickets and accommodation and I’ll go but its the last thing I am doing for you.’

‘Fine, that suits me too, I’ll email you all the details. Once this deal is done Mark we will be very rich indeed…so very rich.’


This time when the door click closed Millie was grinning, Mark from Accounting actually liked her, how did that happen? It was foolish of her to think that he wasn't mainly superficial but she couldn't help feeling a little bit smug that he was the one sorting out her leaving card. Third time lucky, she bent at the knees, lifted the box of paper and went back to her desk.

‘There you are Millie, for a moment there I thought you had got lost!’ said Anne. 
‘Sorry Anne, the box is pretty heavy, and I didn't want to end up like you when i'm old…with a bad back and all.’ Millie didn't intend to be mean but considering she was doing Anne a favour the woman could at least give her some slack. She sat at her desk and started to go through her emails, it was then that she saw one from Mr.Rob and her heart almost stopped beating, she felt tiny palpitations in her chest and all at once felt like everyone in the office was looking at her. She clicked on it to open…

Dear Millie,
I hate to drag you into this but from the map on your desk and the instructions I found in your drawer, you already seem to be getting involved, and the thing is…I need your help…..

6 comments:

  1. OoOoo and so the plot thickens!! Thickerer and thickererer it goes!...Another great episode leaving me hanging from the edge of a cliff by the skin of my tooth! I'm enjoying this series immensely Kate!...Well done you!!...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent Katy. I love your ability to always leave the reader hanging in suspense until the next episode. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...are you really in suspense? hehe

      Delete
  3. This comment was accidentally deleted - Sorry Hap! So here it is again...When I was young we would go to the movies on Saturday afternoon. For a quarter we got to see a double feature (usually cowboys), a cartoon, a newsreel and a serialized feature (Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, etc) with a cliffhanger ending every week. Todays episode reminds me of those. I'm really enjoying this Kate. You have such a way of telling a tale. It entertains as it informs. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hap...I always thought I was born in the wrong decade ;)

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Spill the beans...

Challenge 39: Watch 50 stand up shows (DVD or LIVE)

So I have been keeping notes on all my challenges and updating as and when something happens to move towards that goal, this is the notes fo...