29 Aug 2012

Oh dear, what can the matter be...

Hi!

Remember me?


I thought I hadn't posted for a couple of weeks but was pretty surprised to see it has been almost 4 weeks. Can I use writer's block as an excuse? It would be a lie but...ok, I won't. So an update…


Music


I have been listening to music and I have been away and I had all good intentions but somehow I just became lazy. That isn’t the right word exactly but it’s the best I can come up with that might make some sense.

I still have some bands to interview and I will get back to it – I was slightly unsure about doing it as no-one ever comments on music reviews, there are plenty of people out there writing them, not just people but dogs and pigeons and …one of the bands I reviewed was a bit, I don’t know – not rude or anything but just unresponsive. I didn’t want them to throw a party, I didn’t even want them to say it was good but I would have liked some feedback. Even if it had been, your review f*ck*ng stinks would have been better than nothing. I suppose that I shouldn’t have taken that personally but I am pretty sensitive I suppose and to be fair the other bands were all very polite.

It’s very odd how you can actually get an idea of what a person is like, or the vibe that a band has, when you receive an email or message from someone. It may be a very misleading impression but you get one all the same and as this is all you have to form your impression from, that is what you do.

I have only interviewed & reviewed 9 bands – the first three bands got the short straw on interview questions because I was unsure of what to ask or how many questions they might answer. The really new bands with only a few reviews and maybe three tracks also had a minimal review but they had a chance to put themselves across in the interview questions. Of these 9, there was the one band that were less personable than the others and one band that have a vibe that makes me think of them as a certain type of people of whom I would not really hang out with. I think you can tell a lot about the band from their interview answers in terms of confidence, outlook, experience etc. It was these answers that I looked forward to the most and hoped people would also be interested in knowing more about the bands.

I have 9 bands left that have agreed to an interview and they have been patiently waiting for me – or more likely they have forgotten, but I want to get these bands reviewed and interviewed by the end of October when I will decide if I go back to just blogging once a year or so about my favourite sound.


Writing


I failed completely in participating 100% in five sentence fiction – I have managed 3 posts in about 6 weeks, so 50% success if we are being positive about it.


I do come up with ideas, a lot, and I scribble them down in a notebook or starting writing them as a post. But what happens more often than not is I will start writing this great post, that I simply must put out there, in my head. So I will be walking home from work (40mins) and this post will be flowing and I will be marching along with a spring in my step. Then I will rewrite it in my head and edit out all the ranty parts, then all the repetition and then all the stuff that I probably don’t need to go on about and I am left with scraps! Scraps I tell you! Scraps! That unwritten post then slowly fades in to a distant memory and I decide that I can’t really remember what I was going to write anyway.

So, I have been writing but my rewrite process has been erasing them and thus you get zip, and I get zip.

I should say that I will keep trying to write more and hopefully better and about something of interest and I won’t be a total coward and edit out all the parts that might make people think I HAVE and opinion!

Travel

I haven’t been anyway travelly - I tend to think of travel as somewhere on an plane – but I have been to Manchester. It was the first time and I had intended to write about it and still do but I am not sure how interesting it will be. I have a few photos’s and it was great fun except I never got to see a live band play when I was there.

It’s another thing on my to-do list!

In summary...


It is also that time of year when I start crafting more with the build up to Christmas, I don’t know why as I rarely give homemade gifts to people, but I do always start thinking about making stuff anyway, and always with the intention that everyone will be wowed by what I have made them. But all this crafting means that I can’t type at the same time, and in addition I have some books that I want to finish reading and again you can’t do that in tandem with much else. Add to that the fact that my job finishes at the end of September (so I need to find another job, ugh!) I am quite busy. However, I am rubbish at applying for jobs, my crafts are always picked up and put back down again, the non-fiction books I have to read can be done so on a chapter by chapter basis and writing is what it is. So, I won’t be abandoning my blog just yet! I will try to get posting regularly at least until Christmas,


If you managed to reach the end of this then please post a comment – I don’t mind if it says you talk a lot of nonsense and are super needy! – Pleeeeeeeeese, oh and feel free to ask me anything ;)



8 comments:

  1. I love the way you describe the write/rewrite in our head process. We can all relate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you jnana! You are the kindest person ever for commenting :) And its annoying when you do the process in your head because you don't even have remnants that you can go back to - at least not with my memory!

      Delete
  2. I come up with an idea, I dictate it to myself in my phone's voice recorder so I still have the original thought, but most times, but the time I get around to writing it, it's crap anyway.

    But I so know how you feel about posting lately. I think things are just nuts for everybody right now (or at least I would think that if I actually had the time to check out everyone else's blog!). Good thing we have email!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a good thing indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you back. It's so easy to let blogging slide without even meaning to. I hope the writing sorts itself out.

    Don't read too much into the musicians not responding to your review. I think there's a definite etiquette amongst writers, but perhaps not so much when we mix with other arts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have managed to keep updated via Twitter and will be checking out your short story this weekend :)

      It was only the one band - all the others were happy and polite and many were absolutely lovely.

      Thank you for commenting :) Its made my weekend!

      Delete
  5. Hi Kate
    What an interesting blog. My time is limited so I mainly stick to the embroidery blogs but thought I would pop over. And as to the composing things in your head and severe editing -- I think everyone does that, not just writers. You just have to keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marcy, I really appreciate you popping over here from stitchy land and you're right! I will keep at it. Thanks again.

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Spill the beans...

Challenge 39: Watch 50 stand up shows (DVD or LIVE)

So I have been keeping notes on all my challenges and updating as and when something happens to move towards that goal, this is the notes fo...