25 Apr 2016

[AtoZChallenge] U is for...Ursula



I have seen the Little Mermaid, not many times but more than once…maybe twice, and it is not one I am particular interested in seeing again. My lasting memory is of the lobster…was he called Sebastian? And of the annoying fringe that Ariel had. It may be different if I was to watch it again. The villain in The Little Mermaid is Ursula – a sea witch octopus thingy – and she reminds me of Grotbags.


I think Grotbags is an English thing as she was the witch in the TV show ‘The Pink Windmill’ which was hosted by Rod Hull and Emu…Emu was a huge puppet that he carried around with his hand stuck up its behind to move his beak. I loved this show. Whenever the doorbell rang they would skip to the door singing, there’s somebody at the door, there’s somebody at the door! This is something I still do as I skip to the front door. Anyway, Grotbags is green, but facially she reminds me of Ursula even though Ursula is purple. Grotbags if you are wondering was a woman dressed up. If you are really curious here is a clip…and an insight into british childrens TV in the 80s...and why I am like I am! heheh


And this was followed by one of THE most popular TV shows then..Rentaghost!


And if you really want to see the icing on the cake of 80s TV  - the ever creepy...Wurzel Gummidge!


This show gave me nightmares, not least because Jon Pertwee's (the third Dr Who) facial expressions and the dirty grubby look but also the changing of heads!

But back to Ursula…here she is…

Ursula by Mark Brooks *-ya'll know I can pull it off, I just need to figure out how...:

This is am artists interpretation and not the original Disney but it looks like her...now, why would you want to craft a villain? Because villains are those people who we all love to hate and love to love as they have characteristics that we too may have on occasion...so lets see what fun things there are...after all...purple is a very popular colour...

Very cool earrings which I am sure you could make yourself...or buy! lol

https://www.etsy.com/listing/197506165/fake-ear-tentacle-gauge-faux-gaugegauge

Need a new outfit for work??

http://37.media.tumblr.com/f741dad81512be6663ce694d4904f5f8/tumblr_n5szwbRqhf1qdv2s3o1_1280.jpg

And this very nice cardboard Funko Pop...

http://dansrules.deviantart.com/art/Funko-Pop-Ursula-Disney-by-Dansrules-386021986


Are you a fan of the Little Mermaid? Have you seen the shows above before? Have I lost the plot? Maybe.

10 comments:

  1. I love Ursula! I bet she's a big softie at heart :):) Fantastic costume!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im not sure how you walk in the costume but my guess is wearing roller skates and you are pulled along!

      Delete
  2. Great choice, and maybe one of the only ones for "u"? But a fantastic villain. The Pink Windmill is intense... it makes me think the kids shows I had were a little tame in comparison. I watched The Polka Dot Door a lot and Today's Special if you want to check out Ontarian kids shows too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! It was like a panto on steroids! I definitely do! I shall check those out :) or maybe one of our first top 10s could be kids shows? Hmmm

      Delete
  3. Ursula was probably the only thing I liked about The Little Mermaid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe...I think the prince/love interest is ok...hahhhaha

      Delete
  4. I was a Captain Kangaroo girl in the US, and I am the same age as Sesame Street, and I wanted to marry Grover when I was six. =)

    I'm saving these clips to share with my own not-little-anymore children. My 14 year old son is a Whovian, and has an interest in British TV, so he might especially enjoy seeing this John Pertwee incarnation.

    Happy you appeared in my minioning bracket today! =)

    Boldly Going Through the Alphabet!
    @shanjeniah
    Part-Time Minion for Holton's Heroes
    shanjeniah's Lovely Chaos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was ridiculously popular, I love it when the boy says 'last one there is a big fat pig' it was the kind of innocent remark said as a kid in the 80s which would now be viewed as bullying and probably be condemned. So tell your son to watch it with a pinch of salt! hehe

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed Little Mermaid and Ursula is a wonderful villain. We didn't have a TV until I was 15, so I never saw of the kids stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek! I am sure you had a lucky escape :)

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Spill the beans...

Challenge 39: Watch 50 stand up shows (DVD or LIVE)

So I have been keeping notes on all my challenges and updating as and when something happens to move towards that goal, this is the notes fo...