13 Jan 2013

Girls Best Friend: Part 2.5

Good afternoon :)

I felt slightly guilty that last weeks instalment was a bit brief. Here is another half to add to it. I hope you like it and thank you to all those who voted. 

Looking at all the lists laid out on the table she was happy that she had started on her adventure, after all, the planning was half the adventure. Yawning she looked across and saw Elvis doing the same and laughed ‘Come on you, lets go!’.


'Beep...Beeep...Beeeeeeep'

Millie opened her eyes to the sound of her alarm beeping at her and reached across through screwed up eyes to switch it off, as she did so she managed to knock the cup of tea over that was sat on her bedside table, as soon as she felt it begin to topple over and heard the splash she was up and out of bed like she had been laying on hot coals. Millie dashed to the kitchen, grabbed some kitchen roll, and dashed straight back to start mopping up the tea. This really was not the best way to wake up she thought, although if she was honest, it happened like this more often than not. Millie rubbed her eyes and started to dry off the alarm clock. It was 9.25am. It was 9.25am!!! Damn! she thought, she must have slept through most of the beeping and now she would be late.

The rest of the morning whizzed by and she managed to make it to work by 10.30am, she told them she had a dental appointment and they didn't even bat an eyelid, so Millie just went to her desk and got on with writing her resignation letter...

To Whom It May Concern,
I am writing to notify you that I have wasted the last 6 months of my life to-ing and fro-ing about your office doing the work of trained monkeys. 
Everyday has seemed duller than the day before and in order to spice things up I have imagined you all naked, unfortunately this lead to sickness and you may recall I had to take a week off. 
It wouldn't be such a bad job if you weren't all so far up your own behinds, so happy to assume superiority over others, so happy to pass blame, and so keen to do as little as humanly possible.
I must confess that every time I have made you all tea or coffee I have added my own secret ingredient purely out of spite. 
I shall be working my last day here on 18th January 2013 and as ecstatically euphoric as I will be to go I shall miss....I shan't miss anything.
Please consider this my one week notice.
Kind regards
Millie Westmacott

In reality, Millie just kept it simple but she didn't care, she would be happy to leave. As Millie counted down the hours until it was time to go she checked her emails and worked out what work she had to do before Friday. There were a couple of reports that needed laminated covers and she knew that meant loitering in the copier room for a while. Oh well, best get the jobs she liked the least out of the way first, and she gathered up the document covers that needed laminating and went to the copier room. As was always the case in Rob, Roberts and Robertson the person who used up the last of anything never saw fit to replace it.

Millie was on all fours with her bum in the air and her head pushed into the depths of the cupboard as she tried to see if there were any laminate pouches left in the cupboard in the copier room. They sometimes got pushed to the back. When Millie heard a cough, she tried to get out of the cupboard quickly and ended up  banging her head on the top of the cupboard, as she reverse crawled out of the cupboard and turned around, she saw that it was Mark from accounting. It was obvious to Millie that he was trying to stifle a laugh but ever since yesterday she had been annoyed with him and wasn't about to let him off that easily. 'I'm surprised you saw me here' she said, pursing her lips and brushing the dust off of her skirt. Mark from accounting laughed and said 'huh?!' as Millie walked past him.

She went to get the key to the stationery cupboard but when she did Anne the receptionist told her that someone had taken it already so it should be open. It wasn't unusual for some other poor soul to have to go up there to get stationery even though more often than not it was her. As she approached the door to the stationery cupboard she could hear hushed voices and thought to herself, what is it with people and whispering in cupboards, as she stepped a bit closer she recognised one of the voices. It was Denise from Marketing. 

Millie really didn't want to have to face her and make small talk, she really only wanted to see her on Friday as she strolled out, so she stood outside the door waiting for them to leave. As she stood there she started to make out what Denise from Marketing was saying...'So Mark, we have to get to Marrakech before Rob does, we know that the diamonds are hidden somewhere in head office. I've booked us flights for next Friday.' Millie froze on the spot...she wasn't leaving till this Saturday and would probably reach Marrakech at the same time as they would. She started to panic, Denise and Mark were going to try and get the diamonds before Rob but she would need to get there before them all of them, she swallowed and told herself to get a grip and calm down, she heard movement and went back into the corridor to make it look like she was just on her way there. Denise from Marketing and Mark from Accounting passed her in the corridor and Mark gave her a wink and she gave him a pout.

Millie struggled to concentrate for the rest of the afternoon as she thought of how to reach Marrakech before them, her options were limited; she could leave Elvis behind and fly, she could leave earlier or she could try to delay them. None were options that she relished. She emailed her friend Anne the receptionist and asked her if she had booked flights for Denise from Marketing and Mark from Accounting for Marrakech. She chewed her nails as she waited for a reply. Yes, Anne the receptionist had been asked by Denise from Marketing to book flights, Millie knew she must have as there was no way she would do something so menial herself. Millie didnt want to get Anne the receptionist in trouble but needs must and so she replied to her saying that Denise had asked her to tell Anne to change the date to the Friday after next. That would give Millie an extra week.

9 comments:

  1. Millie's getting sneaky! I like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aarrggghhhhh.....that's the sound of me having a selfish tantrum 'cos I still want MORE!...I know...I know...should be grateful for the extra bit...and I am ..but...I can't help myself! I'm loving the intrigue of this...there's only one thing letting me down...and that's the fact it's only Sunday today!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. five days isnt too long and you never know!

      Delete
  3. Ok now we are all waiting for the next one. You are so good at reeling us in. Roll on Friday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone on Twitter asked me to post their comment...HONEST! They said...I was trying to tell you that it's got me hooked & that I am looking forward to the next installment!...but Blogger wouldnt let them!...honest! i didnt make it up! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo she's so sneaky, love. Glad I've waited and read both at once, roll on tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how I would love to turn THAT in for my notice! Where is that bloody lottery money?

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Spill the beans...

Challenge 39: Watch 50 stand up shows (DVD or LIVE)

So I have been keeping notes on all my challenges and updating as and when something happens to move towards that goal, this is the notes fo...