10 Dec 2012

U got the Look - Nano peak!

This morning I had a wonderful surprise, I had been tagged by the lovely and talented Annalisa Crawford, unbeknownst to me there us a meme circulating blogland (thats how long I was out of the loop with Nano). Its called 'U Got the Look'. As Annalisa says 'if you haven't seen this meme yet, you track down the first mention of the word 'look' in your WIP and then post the paragraph(s) surrounding it'.

I follow Annalisa on Twitter (and she me) and somewhere around early October the topic of NaNoWriMo came up I remember suggesting that if she was going to do it then I would! So I hold her partially to blame for my inane ramblings that have become an extremely rough draft of a novel.

Here is the first occurance of the word 'look' in my novel (all is subject to change of course!)

Rob had been unable to sleep, he was like a kid at Christmas, he had been up since dawn getting ready for work.  The preparation that had gone into it had been done with military precision. He wanted to look his best, he no longer had the uniform which over the years had become his battle armour, what he wore today would set the tone for the rest of his police career. He wanted it to be good. He felt the happiest he had in a very long time and a wry smile danced on his lips. He was a new man today and this was his new identity that he was creating.

I am never sure about passing these things on but during Nano I was lucky enough to be part of an elite team, we word mongered together and cheered each other on and it was invaluable support without which I am not sure I would ever have finished. I thank them all and would love another snippet of their novels....so I have picked just three (so they can nominate others!)

Laura, Miranda Kate, and Meg

12 comments:

  1. About time we got a new blog. Grrrrr. So I guess I need to follow your friends. Ok, you talked me into it. heheh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intrigued about what and who now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Rob one of the two main characters...thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Ok, this has me hooked, what the hell is going on!! I so hope he enjoys his new job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! This is on page 4 and his new job throws up a few surprises! :)

      Delete
  4. Great except - completely captures the turning point from uniform to plain clothes... or at least, that's what I'd be feeling in his position. Thanks for taking part!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great snippet! I like the moment of anticipation and excitement it captures - it feels important. Delighted to have been part of the elite team - you guys totally kept me going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have failed without you lot and am so grateful too.

      If he only knew then what he knows now....

      Delete
  6. Great excerpt - it gets my attention! :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Spill the beans...

Challenge 39: Watch 50 stand up shows (DVD or LIVE)

So I have been keeping notes on all my challenges and updating as and when something happens to move towards that goal, this is the notes fo...