27 Apr 2012

X is for...

Xylophonist



Predictable? I could have chosen x-ray technician or x-rated something!! But this seemed the (dare I say) easiest. It is nearly the end of the alphabet after all.

Why this job?


If you have read any of my other posts in this challenge then you will know that I love music (I've just booked tickets to see Skunk Anansie in December, Wahoo! and will be seeing Foster the People this weekend - they are both quite different to each other, check them out.) I also have a very foolish brain that is telling me that percussion instruments are a whole lot easier than others. I need to check if a xylophone counts as percussion, one sec... OK, it is. I think I am attracted to it because, good xylophonists are pretty impressive. In addition the astronomer Patrick Moore was a self-taught xylophonist. I feel some affiliation towards him simply because my degree is in Physics. But bear in mind that he taught himself pretty much everything he knows, here is a sound clip of him playing his own composition. I think what amazes me is the speed with which you have to play. Anyone else think this sounds like it should have been a piece of music for an animation - I am thinking a scene in Fantasia?



Why I would be good at this job?


It only requires the use of two hands and not all ten fingers. I would be quite a fun and enthusiastic player, mainly due to being thrilled that I was playing an instrument and also because its such a physical instrument and requires a lot of energy. You may not necessarily have to read music, it seems more of a playing by ear instrument.

Why I wouldn't be good at this job?


Well, all that standing up and waving your arms about (although anyone who read the 'U' post will know I have some arm flailing experience!). Performances might take place at night. I would get bored pretty easily of lugging the xylophone around, its not as easy as a penny whistle or a triangle! I am likely to add in extra doo-dee-doo-dee-doops where there aren't any. 

What percussion instrument is calling out your name? Have you ever wondered if playing the triangle is as easy as it looks? 


15 comments:

  1. I'm a great fan of Evelyn Glennie, a Scottish percussionist, who in addition to being a world class xylophonist, is also profoundly deaf. Great player.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some truly amazing people. I will check her out. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Xcellent post for a very difficult letter.


    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have wondered about playing a triangle! And the xylophone is sort of like playing a windchime. Good X word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love windchimes too! Maybe you are on to something - now all I want to do is go home and play the windchime :)

      Delete
  5. Drums, the drums! And I have never heard of either of those bands...but I am olddddd

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol! Skunk Anansie have been around since 1996! The drums would be good, but again its flailing arms syndrome in abundance. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sound of a xylophone!
    One time I tried the tambourine. I looked like an spastic honey badger on crack. Not pretty. I'm leaving that to the professionals from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA! I don't even know how to reply to this one! I've heard a xylophone, but I've never seen one (small Arkansas town...NO culture!). I just always pictured huge guys playing those things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Que? Free tickets to my first concert for you then!

      Delete
  9. i used to play the tambourine :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was a kid, I had to quit playing clarinet because my fingers where to short to cover all the holes. I have shied away from musical instruments ever since. I do have a secrete desire to be an harmonica player thought. They all just seem so cool. :)
    -Debbie

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Spill the beans...

Challenge 39: Watch 50 stand up shows (DVD or LIVE)

So I have been keeping notes on all my challenges and updating as and when something happens to move towards that goal, this is the notes fo...