26 Apr 2012

W is for...

Writer


Could I have chosen anything other than this? Honestly? I don't think so. I think I chose it because, well, I am trying to improve my written communication and hence I got into blogging. I have a tendency to just write  as a conscious stream of thought. My writing is pretty much identical to my speech. I want to tidy it up a bit, so that it makes sense to people other than me. They say practice makes perfect and that is what brought me to the A to Z Blogging Challenge. I did as a child want to be a writer, mainly I think because I was such a prolific reader, and would constantly have my head in a book. I would be at the library every week getting myself 7 more books (that was our library limit). I wont even mention the books I read in bookshops and in the library whilst selecting ones to take home. I really miss it and do try to read when I can. I had a conversation yesterday and a friend made the statement that...


"I don't think you can be a good writer unless you are a prolific reader"

Do you agree? I disagree with this statement but not entirely. 

Anyway, the romantic in me (I may have mentioned this personal characteristic, maybe once or twice or a hundred times already) has visions of me whiling away my days in a little secluded cottage, views over hills and valleys, the scent of flowers drifting through the window and a cat purring by my side as I wrote THE most amazing socio-political historical romantic saga of ALL time. That's the vision in my head but if I was to write a book, I doubt it would be that. I can't say that I have 'realistically' considered what I would write.

Now yesterday with the thought of writing this post whirring around in my head I tried to think about the Whys and Why nots of me being a writer. Grammar is probably a strong contender for the Why nots! But as  fate would have it by the end of the day I had become the recipient of two books from World Book Night. 

World Book Night was on April 23rd 2012, and today I was given a copy of a YA book called How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff. Now, I tend to read mainly Old Adult. So I am intrigued to see what it is like. Although last year (a friend and I decided to have a two-woman book club) I read two YA books. The first was Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman. I really enjoyed this book. I like how she handled discrimination, although it was about racial discrimination in the book, it was applicable to all types. The second YA book was slightly more morbid and was called Before I die by Jenny Downham. This book was about the final months of a teenagers life as she dies. I really liked this too. Again it dealt with a subject that is not always discussed so openly. The first book was recommended by my friend the second I stumbled across all on my own. 

Anyway, the idea of world book night is that you read the book (log where you are in the world on the website with a special number) and then pass it on. When I have read it, I shall be passing it on - so let me know if you would like it next, we can track it around the world apparently! Providing I send it further than my town or we can track it around town! lol 

When a friend heard of this, she said that she had a couple of books from last year that she hadn't handed out (she was a giver) and is also giving me a book - Alan Bennetts memoir 'A Life like other people'. Alan Bennett can be quite sad but I do like his work. Again I will read it and would like to send it on, so if you want it next, then let me know. How great that he was the voice of Owl in the TV version of Meg and Mog (love those books!).

OK to for those of you who hate change....


Why I would be good at this job.


I can type pretty fast, and have no problem with regards to word count. I do still love to read. I get quite involved with my creative endeavours and can be very intense and passionate, which might or might not help with the writing. I persevere for a good while after I should probably have given up. I am imaginative. Erm...I cant imagine what else I could say!


Why I wouldn't be good at this job.

Writing as an aside to everything else could lead to my enthusiasm going off the boil. I have all or nothing tendencies :). Too much imagination and creativity could end up with a convoluted mish-mash of whatdoyoucallit and thingymajig. Focus - I may also have said before (stop me if I have - hehe) that I am easily distracted.

Do you write full-time or part-time? How do you sift through all your ideas? I am always mind-mapping even before I write a list (don't judge me!). Do you have any quirky habits to help you focus?


22 comments:

  1. Wonderful W post, I agree with what you say about writing, having to be a prolific reader.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to follow my original goal for a story, allowing ideas for new twists to come along the way. Blog on!

    http//francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it just means taking a longer path than you might have at first imagined?

      Delete
  3. Hello Kate.
    I used to be a prolific reader of science fiction as well as books on anthropology and philosophy. Now I don't read as much as I used to, mostly blogs and research for my own posts. There are a few things that I do have in my favour though, as far as writing is concerned: I speak well, I use correct English and most importantly, I'm not trying to be a writer, I just write.
    This A to Z April Challenge has definitely kept me focused. I think it has to do with having daily deadlines, you know what I mean?
    I do know what you mean when you say you are an "all or nothing" type person, I'm a bit like that too. I don't like things to drag on for ever.
    Anyway, you seem to be doing just fine, Blessings from Cape Town, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah! Anthropology books :) Yes, I do know what you mean, I NEED deadlines to do almost everything. I just need to know whats expected of me and by when, otherwise whats the rush! The procrastinator appears when this happens and I get distracted.
      Thank you and I appreciate the blessings (my great great grandfather was from Cape Town!)and blessings from the UK too.

      Delete
  4. I have to admit I LOVE the name of your blog. What a great name. I like your post here as well today. I'm working on mine right now but took a break to read some other blogs. Keep on writing! I write full time (when life doesn't get in the way) and have published one novel. I'm at work on the next. I read a lot and am on goodreads to keep my interests fueled by discovering new books I might not otherwise read. I don't know that I have any quirky habits to help me stay focused. I just keep plugging away at it and so it goes. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I should probably confess that at the start of this challenge the blog was called Suddenly Seeking. It was named on a whim when I decided to register. It only changed to The Suddenly Kate Show when I wrote my post for the letter 'R'. But it clicked in my brain and I do like it, and it makes sense because before I began blogging and in my non-online life I have always been known as Katy and never anything else. Then I started blogging and decided to use Kate and suddenly I had this new online persona (its identical to my offline one!lol) and I was Suddenly Kate.
      Thats a bit of a long winded way of saying, Hi, welcome and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I'm following you now. Maybe you'll make it too the 100 mark like Arlee. I hope to as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping, I kind of just want to get there even temporarily by the end of April, people can unfollow me in May! lol So if you have any friends...lol

      Delete
  6. I was a prolific reader as a child - and during the decades since then. I'm a published writer, but still love to immerse myself in another author's story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you read the genre you write or something completely different?

      Delete
  7. yeah i disagree with the sentiment that a great writer is a great reader---just as a person that read a lot, is not necessarily a good speller--although i personally, love to read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats a good point, thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  8. I used to be a prolific reader, until I found the hobby of beading. I know I would not be a good writer just for the fact that I tend to ramble on. What I have learned from a lot of the blogs I have been reading on this challenge is that it is very hard to become a successful writer and it takes time,discipline, and probably most of all passion to get there.
    -Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also enjoy crafts, not tried beading (yet!) and it annoys me that I cant read and sew at the same time whilst the TV is on in the background. I have no doubt that it is very hard, but i think that a lot of careers require the same.

      Delete
  9. This is my dream job! In my days I have started three separate books (but life always interferes and I never finish them)...the first one I started at age 16 and still work on occasionally!

    But, at the same time, whether or not I'd be good at it is an entirely different story!!

    Sometimes I go through phases where I'll read two books a day and other times I won't pick one up for months! Usually when I start one, I won't stop till it's finished, but I have a pretty extensive library in my extremely overcrowded trailer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could do this! Your trailer sounds like Mary Poppins Carpet Bag!

      Delete
  10. I agree with the statement that you need to be a reader to be a writer, but I currently spend very little time reading because I'm too busy with kids and writing. I'd love to read more, but something important would be neglected. I feel guilty if I read, and guilty if I don't!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you have to study something to do it--like reading to be a better writer. But eventually you have to actually write. So, I agree and disagree, if that makes any sense. I wish I could write for a living, but I spent all this money for PNP...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PNP? I think you do too - but inevitably when you are writing there is always research? I have a tendency to research even when reading a book - providing it is really good and about something that interests me. When I read the Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver, I also read books about Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera and Trotsky and watched the film Frida whilst simultaneously reading Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (set in South America too). I'm not crazy enough to do that for every book I read though! lol

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Spill the beans...

Challenge 39: Watch 50 stand up shows (DVD or LIVE)

So I have been keeping notes on all my challenges and updating as and when something happens to move towards that goal, this is the notes fo...