30 Mar 2012

Sad Songs Blogfest March 30th 2012

Good Morning!

With two days till the A to Z challenge I thought I would have a practise run!

By checking out the blog A Faraway View I saw that he was participating in Sad Song Blogfest 30 March 2012 hosted by Spunk on a Stick.




I am a sucker for music and love to discover new artists, whether it is new releases by up and coming artists or songs that are new to me, I love to listen to them all. So there was no way I couldn't add my recommendations to Sad Song Blogfest before I check out yours.




Does anyone remember the TV show Ally McBeal? Well, I always thought I had a soundtrack to my life, but to select just a few is so difficult. I think as you grow up you attach a lot of sentiment to certain artists or tracks because of an event in your life that happened. For instance, 'Killing me softly' by the Fugees was the first song I slow danced to! Now whenever I hear that song, I feel like a teenager again. Shakin' Stevens was the first album that I bought myself, I recently heard some of his music the other day and felt about 8 again, I couldn't stop grinning for the whole day and felt quite sad that it had been so long and how much I really missed him!

When I walk to work and home again, I listen to music, when I am at work, I listen to music and so I thought that it would be pretty easy to pick a few favourites. No it isn't! But here are a few of my favourite Sad Songs...

1.Love Me by Yiruma


No lyrics but the music speaks for itself - very hard not to start blubbering when I hear this.

2. Back Home - Eric Clapton


What can I say? Again its the music more than the lyrics, but the sentiment is universal. Home is definitely where the heart is.

3. Dear Friend  - Stacie Orrico


It expresses so well how difficult it can be to help a friend when they are struggling, when they don't want to ask for help. And all you can do is be there for them.

4.I wont last a day without you - The Carpenters


5. Mr Bojangles - Nina Simone


I love Nina's voice, it has so much emotion in it.

6. Heart ran dry - Rox


7. The Sea - Corinne Bailey Rae


8. Many of Horror - Biffy Clyro


9. If I could be where you are - Enya


Enya has such a haunting voice that echoes in itself. Stunning.

10. Rainbow Connection - The Muppets


I think ten is more than enough! I had to add the muppets as its quite sad but beautiful and also ITS THE MUPPETS!! (p.s Gonzo is the greatest!)

Have a great weekend! I'm off to listen to sad songs ;)

Kate x


42 comments:

  1. COOL! CARPENTERS!

    I will fight to the death ANYONE who pokes fun at The Carpenters!

    Karen couldn't possibly sing any song without it sounding sad somehow. I could have selected any number of Carpenters songs for my list ('Superstar'? 'Yesterday Once More'? 'Rainy Days & Mondays'? et al.), but I decided to go with the one that was most IRONIC.

    I also liked your "Muppets" selection, as it displayed a capacity to "think outside the box".

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right practically everything Karen sings sounds sad and I was very tempted by Rainy Days & Mondays. They do sometimes let me out the box but there are strict rules!

      Delete
  2. Gonzo is the greatest! I cried forst time I heard that Biffy Clyro song. great selection :)

    Universal Gibberish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of great songs here. I love Corinne Bailey Rae, and who doesn't love the Muppets? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, who doesn't love the Muppets? Maybe the folks on sesame street? :)

      Delete
  4. Being a great lover of music I enjoyed all your list. some I knew others not but I did listen to them all.
    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made a nice new playlist from peoples choices of sad songs :) I have enjoyed hearing previously unknown tracks too.

      Delete
  5. You had me at... Rainbow Connection!

    Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
    Visit The Madness:
    iZOMBIE

    ReplyDelete
  6. killing me softly by the fugees is the only one i knew!
    i'm failing the music in this 'fest BIG TIME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a few fails myself when checking out people lists - but its a great bonus of the blogfest to be introduced to some "new" artists.

      Delete
  7. Yiruma-what a gorgeous song. I love music! You can have my TV, I'll even gift wrap it, but don't take my music or my books.

    Some great choices here and I can see why you chose them.

    Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yiruma song has my heart breaking by about the fourth note :)

      Delete
  8. I haven't heard Bojangles in so long but her voice is really amazing. And that piano song, which I haven't heard before, is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cant remember how I came to hear the Yiruma song, I think it was whilst randomly looking for something else - Great find!

      Delete
  9. Aw, you had me at Rainbow Connection! I love The Muppets. Love Enya, too. Have all of her CDs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will have to check out Biffy Clyro - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a new follower!

    Gotta love Enya. I wish I had thought of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following and there are just so many sad songs. Its sad.

      Delete
  12. Anything Enya sings is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Oh, don't get me started on how many great artists I forgot! I have spent the last 12 hours remembering them all, doh!

      Delete
  14. I love Corrine Rae Bailey. Thanks for introducing me to a couple new artists--for me--too. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Carpenters and Simone hit the spot for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super blog.... about the only thing....well one of the things anyway that I love more than blogging ( and I've only been doing that for 6 weeks) is music. I absolutely love your choices here, especially Enya... looking fwd to the A_Z Challenge and what your topic will be...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, as its my first time (ahem) I am going with a light-hearted whimsical topic, or at leasts that the plan.

      Delete
  17. I like the Yiruma song, and The Rainbow Connection is such a sweet classic piece.
    I look forward to reading your posts during A to Z- I'm also participating in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Ooh! I will check out your A to Z posts too.

      Delete
  18. So so so many songs! I cant stop thinking of them since I made this list. Nice to "meet" you too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kate- very interesting selection, and surprising that there's a Clapton song other than "Tears In Heaven"

    I thought that would be on every list!

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh - Rainbow Connection brought back memories! Love your list, but that one took me back to my childhood. I'll have it in my head for the rest of the evening for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish I could say The Rainbow Connection took me back to my childhood, but it only took me as far back as my KIDS' childhoods. lol! I'll have it in my head all day, too!

    Yeah, I'll fight for the Carpenters, too. We need to form a protective society for them or something.

    Nina Simone. That is all. Just: Nina Simone.

    Marian Allen
    Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm with Marian, "Rainbow Connection" only took me to my kid's childhood. LOL It is a great song.

    Also love "Mr. Bojangles. For a variety show here at the local Community Theatre, an amazing singer and guitarist sang this song while a woman danced silhouetted behind a white screen. She was a professional dancer and the effect was amazing.

    Thanks for bringing back that memory.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Don't laugh - I popped in again today as I was double checking to be sure that I hit everyone's blog and I got excited to see Rainbow Connection. Yes, I'm going to keep your blog up and finish listening to it as I check the last few...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh dear! My comments looked normal and now they look crazy! New tactics from tomorrow.

    Have fun matching up my responses to the original comments hahaha

    Rainbow connection on loop is a must :)

    Thanks for stopping by Marian, Maryann and Jennie.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Carpenters! Rainbow Connection! Mr. Bojangles!!! Great, great choices :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Spill the beans...

Challenge 39: Watch 50 stand up shows (DVD or LIVE)

So I have been keeping notes on all my challenges and updating as and when something happens to move towards that goal, this is the notes fo...